Monday, January 19, 2009

Inauguration

What are your plans for the inauguration? I've never before had plans for an inauguration. I can't even remember watching one on TV, at least not the whole thing. Tonight we're invited to a pre-inauguration gathering and tomorrow will find me firmly planted in front of the big screen in our community activity center with a group of neighbors, many of whom worked to make the inauguration of Barack Obama possible. We will share food, stories, disappointments, hopes and dreams as we watch what we hope will truly be A New Birth of Freedom.

But, it is incumbent on those of us who worked for this day not to bask in the glow and walk away feeling our job is done. Yes, the small goal was winning the election, the larger goal is real change. So we must continue to work by doing what we can to effect that change within our communities and by scrutinizing our elected officials and holding their feet to the fire when necessary.
“People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote - a very different thing." Walter H. Judd
And let's remember John McCain's powerful words:
"I urge all Americans ... I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our goodwill and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited."
It's not just Yes We Can it's Yes, We Continue!





1 comment:

  1. Hi StrawBoss, I never witnessed people and I mean EVERYONE, getting along so well on this day. I thought I was dreaming, good feelings, and goodtimes. What a day. I still can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete