Tuesday, December 16, 2008

For the Love of Small Houses


I....Love....Small....Houses! There, I've said it! Not that big houses don't do it for me, too. I remember visiting Biltmore in Asheville when I was about 13 and swooning. In my fantasy I wanted to pull a Claudia Kincaid (From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler) and just live there quietly in some corner and come out at night to play.

But for me in reality, small houses are it. It all started with my neighbor friends 5'x7' play house. It was so cute and I could imagine sewing curtains and painting little furniture pieces-I guess I've always been a nester. I so wanted that little house.

Our current home is small by 2008 standards at just 1200+/- sq feet. But it's not a cramped 1200, it's a just right 1200, at least for us because I designed it for the way we live. However, I could go smaller and everytime I see a well-done tiny house, I want it!

Maybe I'm still searching for that playhouse. One of my favorite reads is the Tiny House Blog The homes featured there aren't playhouses, they're houses in which real people can live. How can you not fall in love with this?One of these days I'm gonna build me one of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment